Enough with calories :) I am back to veggies recipes. The only think is not a pure healthy one is the fried onion, but I must confess I just love the taste and smell of fried onion, but again who doesn’t?
But no more speaking about the recipe today and more sharing about what you need to to it and how to do it.
You will need:
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 250 g of mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 beg of frozen beans or if you find them fresh much more better
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ¼ Parmesan cheese
- ground thyme
- salt and pepper
This ingredients are needed for the casserole itself. But you will also need 1 medium onion, 3 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons white rice flour to prepare the fried onions.
So let’s begin with the preparation of fried onions, which you will need when you will put together the green bean casserole. It’s simple: in a bowl combine the cornstarch with the white rice flour and then pass the onion through this composition. Then you need to fry the onions in some vegetable oil, until they become golden brown and crispy. Take them out on a bowl coated with a pepper towel and leave them to drain.
Now that you are done with the fried onion let’s continue with the heavy stuff :)
- First, preheat the oven at about 180°C.
- In a saucepan, where you heated at medium-heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, saute the diced onion and the minced garlic. Add the chopped mushrooms and the rest of olive oil and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
- In the same saucepan add 1 ¾ cup of milk and some thyme and allow the composition to boil slowly. After you brought it to the boiling point is time to add the rest of the milk and two tablespoons cornstarch. Now is time to stir in a vigorously manner so that the cornstarch and the milk can combine. After the cornstarch incorporates in the composition allow it to boil at medium-heat for 1 more minute and then reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for about 3 minutes.
- After you added salt and pepper, add the green beans and stir to combine them. Then pour the whole composition in a casserole dish and grate all over it Parmesan cheese (about ½ of the quantity).
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake it for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take it out of the oven, remove the foil and sprinkle the fried onions and the other half of the Parmesan cheese on top of it.
I believe that the images will help you even more to understand the process. Anyhow the final dish is very rich in flavors like any veggies based dishes can be if you know how to cook them!