November is here – cold, rainy, lots of days you just want to stay indoors covered in a fluffy blanket reading a good book, enjoying a good glass of wine, a tea or a warm and comforting soup.
This cream of potato soup with bacon is perfect for these kind of days, pure comfort food.
- 500 g white potatoes
- 1 onion
- 150 g bacon – sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 little parsnip root
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 g butter
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- sour cream
- sea salt and black pepper
- Fry the bacon slices in butter and olive oil until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Take them out of the pan. In the same pan, without washing it, saute for 1-2 minutes the sliced onion and the minced garlic. Then add the other vegetables: potatoes, carrot and parsnip root, all cut in little cubes.
- After 5 minutes add 1 l hot water, the bay leaf, salt, pepper and tarragon and leave all to cook for 20 minutes (cover the pan with a lid).
- Take out the bay leave, add half of the bacon and blend all the composition until you obtain a smooth paste.
- When you serve this dish, in each bowl beside the soup add one soon of cream, 1 teaspoon of the remained fried bacon and fresh chopped parsley.
Image credit: laurens-kitchen.com