As you may noticed my last few posts were with vegetarian dishes. I am in a new phase were I am trying to eat as less meat as I can. I do not pretend to be a vegetarian and I believe I will never be a full time vegan :) I love fish to much to give it up (and a few other ingredients as well).
But I am a person who had some weight problems during my adolescence and I am as careful as I can with what I eat. I can say that I’m trying to be a “healthy eater” if I may say so. Nevertheless, I do not take everything to an extreme level and once in a while I allow myself some decadent treats (I do not want to become a frustrated person and I love good food to much).
But let’s get back to the vegetarian recipe series and learn how to make barley with vegetables and peanuts.
You will need (for 4 servings):
- 250 g of barley
- 150 g crashed peanuts
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 eggplant
- 2 carrots
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 4 springs of fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Now that we have all the necessary ingredients, let’s cook the dish:
- Wash the barley in 2-3 different waters and put it to soak in warm water for about 1 hour. Then boil it in salty water until the grains become soft. Drain the water in which the barley have boiled and keep the barley in a bowl.
- Cut the bell peppers in two and cut them in thin strips.
- Cut the carrots in thin rings and the eggplant in little cubs.
- Put the olive oil in a pan, and cook for about 5 minutes the carrots (at medium heat), then add the bell peppers and the eggplant and cook them for another 5 minutes. Don’t forget to stir from time to time.
- Add the crashed peanuts, the wine, salt and pepper and the thyme. Boil everything for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Distribute the barley into 4 plants and on top of it put the resulted sauce and then garnish everything with a spring of parsley.
Image credit: wellfedheart.com